The Hatter Institute for Cardiovascular Research in Africa (HICRA), within the Department of Medicine (www.medicine.uct.ac.za) is located at the 4th and 5th floor of the Chris Barnard Building, at the University of Cape Town. The Institute, led by director Prof. Karen Sliwa is an active and productive arena for the training of both clinician-scientists and biomedical scientists with a focus on condition common in Africa.
HICRA is comprised of several groups, namely the Cardiac Disease and Maternity Group, Cardioprotection Group, Cardiovascular Genetics, Lipid Research Group and Heart of Africa Projects.
Our state-of-the-art Translational Research hub provides a vibrant and stimulating space for interaction between members from the different research groups.
A major focus is on translational research and to serve as a centre of training for post-graduate students from South Africa and other African countries.
We are linked with the Institute of Infectious Diseases and Molecular Medicine, University of Cape Town (www.idm.uct.ac.za).
The vision of HICRA is to facilitate national and international collaborations in its fields of expertise.
Aims and Objectives
- To investigate cardiac disease interlinked with pregnancy (Cardiac Disease in Maternity Group);
- To study ways of protecting the heart against insults such as lack of blood flow (ischaemia) (Cardiac Protection Group);
- To study the genetic basis of cardiomyopathy and other forms of heart disease (Cardiovascular Genetics Group);
- To undertake African population studies, with a focus on translational research (Heart of Africa projects).
- To develop awareness projects linked to health education in South Africa and Africa (www.hedu-africa.org, www.socru.org)
- In order to achieve research excellence, we strive to produce work that is published in high impact factor journals and that relevant to the society in which we live.
- A major focus is on translational research and serving as a centre of training for post-graduate students from South Africa and other African countries.
- See more at: http://www.hatter.uct.ac.za/icra/about/profile#sthash.X8l3yULp.dpuf